Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Project Breaks

Sometimes life gets the better of you. I knew time was passing without having put any blog posts in the queue, but I didn't realize how much time had passed. It was one of those, "It's been awhile since I wrote something into the blog...I should do that," type of deals. It was easy to put off since I didn't have an audience clamoring for fresh posts to read.

But still, I didn't like leaving it too long.

The truth is I've had a couple other things going on. This past weekend my wife came to the city and we spent three exhausting days running around New York Comic Con. Panels, cosplay, panels, shopping, and of course, some more panels. My wife went home with some gifts for my son, like a recent issue of Nightwing signed by Kyle Higgins and some t-shirts to show off at school.

She was ecstatic about having seen the cast of Walking Dead; it was probably the only TV-show panel that had the majority of the cast on stage, and they really seemed like awesome people.

This week the office is hosting our remote employees in the community, developer and systems administrator groups. That's a lot of people in our office space, pushing us to capacity and then some.

In yet another bit of news, just before my wife came to town, a coworker and I started recording a podcast. We had been discussing it and coming up with topics to use in the program, but kept putting it off. Finally I kind of made the decision to just up and do it; we recorded the day of our company town hall, held bi-weekly, so we could use that as a kind of reminder of when to record. It's not perfect by any means; we recorded on the cheap, using headset mics and recording over Google Hangouts (since we were remote and couldn't work in the same room.) We definitely could use better microphones, and we may have to experiment with audio processors to properly clean things up. But if we waited to get things just right we never would have ended up actually getting it done.

We recorded, he cleaned up the audio, and when I could sneak in some time here and there I worked on the album artwork and configuring a blog, the hosting account and the iTunes feed after doing some tiny post-editing on the MP3 file. I just got these things working; as I told my coworker, the programming side project I've been talking about was put on hiatus and I was hoping to get the podcast posted within a week of the recording, which I miraculously did, despite also telling him that I was going to try to get the podcast worked on over the weekend but realistically I wouldn't get much done over Comic Con weekend, as I knew it would be exhausting.

All of this comes down to the point of the post title...the need for breaks. Sometimes things come up and priorities shift. We all get the same 24 hours in a day, but there are times where the things we want to get done have to take a back burner.

The Month of the Busies isn't over yet. I have family coming next weekend in preparation for my birthday-when-it's-not-my-birthday. I'm not sure how much I can get done in that time. And of course this happens to be a birthday where I need to get my license renewed, meaning another trip back home in the near future. All of which tends to interfere with getting things done.

On the other hand, taking a break from my projects may mean returning to them with a renewed sense of purpose and energy. Plus, I'm experimenting with podcasting as an outlet for creativity. I'm not sure where it'll lead but it might feel rewarding. Breaks in routine can be both a source of anxiety ("I'm not getting anything done!") and source of perspective ("The world didn't end despite not having finished XYZ when I wanted to...and look what I made instead!")

I suppose I can chalk up several "me-time" projects now. The personal blog. The podcast. And the program. The biggest challenge will be scheduling them to fit into the same 24 hours that up until now I've been complaining about fitting only two projects into!

1 comment:

  1. great post i am using this Microphones from last few months i never face any kind of problem from the date of the purchase it

    ReplyDelete