Saturday, April 4, 2015

Upgrading GoLang From Source (Using Git)

I used to have a pretty straightforward way of upgrading my GoLang installation on the Raspberry Pi (ARM Linux). A few quick commands and a long wait as it recompiled and everything was right as rain. Then the Go team decided everything would go to Git and I had to follow suit or keep fighting to get Mercurial to work with a neglected repo.

So how do you upgrade using Git?

From the home directory where I keep my Go subdirectory:

cd go/src
git fetch
git checkout <tag>
./all.bash

Wait until baked to a golden brown and remove from the oven. Voila'.

How do you know what tag to use? And when to upgrade?

From the golang-announce list, of course. You can manually check there for latest release information or subscribe to get the announcements to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment