Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy is a Pain

What I thought I knew I apparently didn't.

I was walking into the colocation center to switch some backup tapes in preparation for the possibility we wouldn't be able to easily get into the building, physically, with the storm coming, when I got a message from my wife that she was getting nervous about the storm and the likelihood of me getting home when we anticipated later that week and asking me to contact my team at work to see if I could leave early and get back home with them.

The last storm, Irene, had apparently missed NYC but had really devastated our area. Roads gone. Homes gone. Levees are still not properly repaired, and that was a year ago that everything blew away...

I guess it's understandable that there is increased tension back in the homestead.

This was obviously not part of The Plan. The team, however, is awesome. They gave the nod to head home, and I arranged for her to come pick me up as the city was ordering Zone A people to evacuate and public transit to shut down that night.

That gave me enough time to overpack things I wouldn't have ordinarily taken on the bus, coordinate a few last minute items to get done at work, and "shut down" the apartment for the storm. We got back home in PA several hours later, just in time to crash into the bed to get some sleep.

This morning brought news that the storm is heading more northward than predicted originally, but no one knows the full effect or final track yet. Homeside, we still have options involving going to my parents house where they have a generator if necessary, and our home is high enough that there's no way we would need to worry about flooding as long as the house is intact. We'll spend part of today getting some last minute items.

Then it's a waiting game to see what the storm does, and after that it's damage control and evaluating our options.

The hardest part  at this point is the uncertainty...

No comments:

Post a Comment